Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thump Thump...Thump Thump...

It started as a small pitter patter as Manny picked off the pass amidst the powder blue of the Northern Carolina. Then, the spanking of the Illini behind the shed, and the merciless Soliches and Bison slaughter had it thumping a bit harder. Then an odd trek began, on the road, and up the rankings. I remember when I happened to be in South Florida near Miami when Rutgers was in Tampa. A guy spotted my Rutgers shirt and said, "Hey, their having a nice year, but it is going to be tough tonight. You know, they lost to New Hampshire a few years back." Not understanding this unfounded attack, I responded, "Yeah, that was a few years ago, and times have changed...By the way, how is the U doing this year?" knowing that they hadn't had the best of starts, including a bad loss to FSU. The man responded, "What do I care? I root for New Hampshire." So, I knew odd things were afoot when Hurricane fans were jumping ship to root for a Div 1AA team. And after three exhillerating wins on the road, the cardiac kids block a punt, clamp down on UConn, and set-up Rutgers' biggest Big East game....ever.
But still, I have been having this odd feeling in the ticker, so I went to the doctor, and low and behold, he reported back the above image. I have Rutgers Heartworm. I can't eat as much, and I am frequently starting conversations with random people about Rutgers. My doctor said that I am not in any immediate harm, but he was curious about all the scars. I had to explain that I have had the heart muscle rebuilt several times from being broken with all kinds of actions, missed field goals, turnovers, penalties, injuries, etc. Someone, the joy of this season has not only healed many wounds, it has made my muscle stronger and ready to grow even larger.

Is it Thursday yet?

No comments: