Friday, October 27, 2006

Chads

I was born but not really aware of the previous years of success of Rutgers football. No, I came of age as a Rutgers football fan watching Penn State roll into Giants stadium to not really beat the Scarlet Knights, but more to wittle them down, and then toss a few 70 yard bombs to break my heart. 1961 Rose Bowl? Hmmm, I remember 1961 like it was never. But why shouldn't beating Cornell and Dartmouth count as much as beating the best of the PAC-10 or Big 10 or 11 or whatever it is. And not to rely on the Home News Tribune too much, but this is why Schiano is a defensive genius, (yes I said genius Adem) getting the most out of quality guys who could have gone anywhere (as long as anywhere is like, K-State, Illinois, or gasp, Temple) but they chose Rutgers and their team first, not me-first style.
And bandwagon? C'mon recruits, we'll take you. Don't want to go to the Criminal U, er, Miami anymore? Why not? FIU is a quality opponent, right, and Duke, I mean that will help your BCS standing. Ha ha.
And if I could afford to buy the insider on ESPN, (please, do you know how many Pop Tarts $39.95 will buy), I would love to hear why Craig James thinks the world would be behind an undefeated Rutgers in the BCS championship game...although methinks annointing them undefeated is like awarding a presidential election at 11 pm-ish...there are many dangling chads to keep track of.
Including the next game up on the schedule, which recent history with UConn should remind us that this is still Rutgers, and as happy as you can be that they have won them all so far, let's take nothing for granted. South Florida was a bobble away from sending us to overtime, for example, and even big teams like Florida (fumble? incomplete pass?), Notre Dame (sorry Seamus) are a bad day or even just a bad call away from dashing dream seasons...not that i wouldn't need several pinches to wake up from the ecstasy of 11-1, 10-2, etc....but in the deep recesses of my Philadelphia tainted mind, I remember the Rich Kotite led Eagles 7-2, then losing the final 7...I'm not suggesting that could happen on The Banks, but I am a realist afterall.
Enjoying the ride....

1 comment:

Matthew C. Keegan said...

Go, Rutgers!!!

R.U. all the way too!

I remember the '76 season, but was a little to young to remember anything about 1961.

All of us Rutgers fans have much to be happy about and Sunday nights game should be fun.