Thursday, October 11, 2007

Not THAT guy




So it has been a few days since I spewed out my thoughts on the men of Scarlet. And the last time I did, we were coming off a heartbreaker versus Maryland. Now, we are a few days removed from a Bearcat beatdown that was tough because we had chances, not a chance, but chances to win that game. Even though I don't know exactly how to pick up the pieces and talk the talk, I know that I don't want to be that guy who dumps his team at the slightest hint of adversity. Far from it. Even though this sucks, and I don't like to see my team go through these kinds of tough losses, I am comforted by the not so distant past that reminds me that times have been tougher, and to be disappointed to lose to a ranked team and not have a secret acceptance of my place in the football world, means a lot in terms of football respect.

So, two losses into this tough stretch, the season still stretches out in front of us. National Title hopes, I mean, realistically, they were a far off dream this season anyway, but now that reality is firmly in our front mirror. The middle linebacking woes seem to have cropped up in our rush defense, and having tight ends who can block and catch the ball have room for improvement. I can only tell you that a bowl would still be a nice goal for this team, regardless of the year, and three wins amongst our final games seems a good chance, considering teams like the Cuse, Pitt, and Uconn are on the horizon. Oh, and Louisville might not be the big bad bird we all thought they were, at least their defense couldn't stop a pickup flag football team.

Is it irony also that one of the comments I received on my last post was from someone selling rutgers floor mats? I felt like I was a little bit of a floor mat after losing on consecutive weeks this year, oh, how I might have been spoiled by last year, but I knew to keep my fandom from going amuck. Back in the '80's, as a Rtugers fan, I thought a team like West Virgina had a good M.O. They were good enough to be in the national title talk once every 3 or 4 years, when one of their classes came together and developed and peaked together. I always thought I would be happy with that. I just hope I don't have to start burning couches to foster that kind of mojo.

By the way, the link for those Rutgers mats if you are curious is oddly enough:
www.rutgersmats.com

Enjoy and go RU.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that a Penn State helmet next to that Rutgers floor mat?