Friday, December 29, 2006

37-10




And it wasn't even that close. Announcers talking about calling off the dogs early in the 4th quarter...in a bowl game? Have you ever heard that kind of talk about Rutgers?

Welcome to a place never visited before. We're talking footsteps on the moon, finding those blind fish that shouldn't be able to exist on the bottom of the ocean, places they have only talked about, and then one day, bam you are there. A play or two away from a conference championship and a BCS bowl bid, double digit wins, respect.

Like many people, I was dreaming of tasting the oranges of Miami, but let's be real, and not be too greedy, this is the first time we have ever gone to abowl in consecutive years....which of course makes sense since the Texas Bowl marks bowl number three in Rutgers history. So, as a fan, I grew into the idea of this bowl, leaving my heartbreak at the goalline of the third overtime, and moving on to the first bowl win ever, the second 11 win season ever, and the smushing of a team like a bug that in past years wasn't a reality over any squad.

But there I sat, watching in awe, as my friends told me it was in the bag, but I didn't believe it until the clock hit zeros. Then the game is over, Schaino is getting a water bath (no Gatorade in the budget?) And then a random K-State fan came over to me, shook my hand and said he thought we had a nice team. Now mind you, K-State has been to 12 bowls in the last 14 years, and they've won in six of those trips. Think about that, twelve bowl games in the last 14 years...versus three in 137. I'll be honest with you, I don't know how to react. Yes, I am savoring the victory, the season, the players, the coach (who is staying), the positive press, but I don't know what to do next.

As a longtime fan, this is two of the best years in the modern era. And yes, although I have tremendous respect for the 60's and 70's teams that played their asses off, they were basically an Ivy League team that put together a some great seasons. But today, college football is a business, and taken much more serious by many more teams. So, this type of success seems sweeter amongst tighter competition, and toss in the lumps we have taken in the past, it is like a dream that I am walking through.

I am in Scarlet Heaven.

No comments: